DA rules no deputies at fault in Hewett death


The findings of an SBI investigation into the death of former Brunswick County Sheriff Ron Hewett, while in custody at the New Hanover County Detention Facility, were finally revealed by NHC District Attorney Ben David during a press conference Friday, Aug. 1.

After reviewing video footage and interviewing the deputies on duty the evening of July 12, David announced no deputies would be charged in relation to Hewett’s death.

David’s report states shortly after being booked into the detention facility July 10, Hewett refused meals and a visit from mental health professionals after he was observed displaying odd behavior in his cell.

After two other visits from his mother and a female friend, a third visit was scheduled for Saturday, July 12, at 2 p.m. Hewett indicated he was ready for his visit and released from his cell into a common area but was dressed only in his boxer briefs. Deputies asked Hewett to return to his cell to put clothes on but he refused.

A deputy then entered the tier to get Hewett to return to his cell but Hewett became aggressive, assumed a fighting stance and attempted to strike the deputy. The deputy began giving warnings to Hewett while holding out his Taser but Hewett continued to attempt to strike the deputy. The deputy fired the Taser at Hewett’s chest. Hewett rolled on the floor in an attempt to remove the probes and continued to attempt to strike the deputy even after the deputy attempted to stun him.

Officers arrived to provide assistance and Hewett also tried to strike a second deputy, who struck Hewett with a closed fist to defend himself, David’s report states. The first deputy reloaded his Taser and hit Hewett with probes in his chest and right hand, which effectively brought Hewett down. Officers were able to subdue him without excessive force, the report states.

The entire incident was captured on fixed cameras in the facility, and with a handheld camera that was used by deputies while subduing Hewett and when they brought him back to his cell.

After the deputies took Hewett back to his cell and laid him face down on his sleeping mat, he can be heard on the video saying, “You know it takes real talent to kill a man with a Taser.” While kicking his legs out he also yelled to other inmates, “I didn’t go down like a coward, boys.”

Once in the cell a nurse was called in to assess Hewett, but could not complete her work because of his aggression. It was decided he should be placed on suicide watch. At that time, David’s report states Hewett showed no signs of trouble breathing.

On the second check of Hewett’s cell, ordered every five minutes, the deputy became concerned when Hewett was not moving. When deputies entered the cell his face looked blue and it was determined lifesaving measures were needed. CPR efforts were started by deputies and the nurse, and continued by EMS and NHC Fire for 30 minutes after they arrived.

In the preliminary autopsy report, Dr. William Oliver, the medical examiner for the case, stated the cause of death was dilated cardiomyopathy, which is sometimes seen in people who drink alcohol to a great extent. The other likely contributing factor to Hewett’s death was the stress on his heart from the incident and being subdued.

After speaking with Hewett’s family, David said he did not wish to release the video footage as part of the criminal evidence.

However, in accordance with a court order from Senior Resident Superior Court Judge W. Allen Cobb Jr., Sheriff Ed McMahon released the surveillance videos during a Friday, Aug 1 press conference. For video footage, visit www.luminanews.com

email cole@luminanews.com 


Copyright 2014 Lumina News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave A Reply

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann